What is a Blue Ridge Stream?
The Blue Ridge Stream, powered by Android TV™, provides Blue Ridge television service by way of a wired or wireless internet connection. You will also receive the benefits of the TiVo Experience, and access to Android apps by linking your Google account. This box is currently available in our Westfield area with Fiber to the Home service, and will become available throughout the rest of our service area in the coming months.
How does it work?
The Stream box connects to the internet over wifi, or by a wired Ethernet connection. This means a cable jack is not required nearby your TV or cable box. The box then connects to your TV using an HDMI cable. Your television channels and any streaming or app content will be provided through your internet service. Please note this means if you lose internet connection or wifi signal, you will not be able to watch TV or use any apps.
The TiVo Experience includes TiVo features such as the Home Screen, My Shows, What to Watch, your onscreen guide, OnePass, Parental Controls, Video on Demand, Apps, and more.
Android TV™ includes access to the Google Play store to download and use apps such as Disney+, HBO Max, or any other Android apps. Please note you will need internet service and a Google account to sign into the app store or download and use Android apps.
Watching TV channels will not affect your Blue Ridge internet service’s data allowance, and requires no minimum download speed. Please note that using apps to stream video such as through Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, etc., requires internet service, and will use data.
How do I sign into or create a Google account?
To access the Google Play store to download and use apps, or to use the built-in Google Assistant, you will first need to create or log into a Google account. This can be done during initial set-up, or later on.
- Press the [TiVo] button to go to TiVo Home, and then navigate to Menu > Device Settings > Accounts & Sign In.
- Select +Add Account.
- Select Sign In to proceed, or Skip to go back.
- After choosing Sign In, enter your Gmail address or phone number. Select --> to proceed.
- To create a new account, arrow down and select Create account, and then follow the onscreen prompts.
- Enter your password. Select --> to proceed.
- To enter a special character, press and hold [OK] while highlighting a number. For example, press and hold [OK] on 1 to select an exclamation point.
- The system will check for two-step verification. Check your device, such as your smartphone or tablet, to proceed.
- Once confirmed, you will be logged into your Google account. Your Gmail address will appear on the Accounts & Sign In screen. Press [TiVo] to return to TiVo Home.
How do I use voice control?
How do I use the Google Assistant?
With Google Assistant, the Blue Ridge Stream box will respond to voice commands to search, perform actions, or make recommendations. Please note, you will need to set up and sign into a Google account to use this feature.
- Press the [Google Assistant] button on your remote.
- Select Continue.
- Select Allow to proceed with set up, or No Thanks to disable Google Assistant for this device.
- Select Yes or No to opt into Google Assistant email updates.
- Select your Google account, or add an account from this screen.
- A brief video will play, demonstrating features of the Google Assistant.
- Upon activation, the Google Assistant will have you try out the feature. Press and release the [Google Assistant] button, then speak into the remote.
How do I download an app?
The Android TV™ interface allows you to download additional apps to the Blue Ridge Stream box. Please note, you will need to set up and sign into a Google account to use this feature.
Please also note, in-app purchases will be charged to your method of payment associated with your Google account, and will not appear on your Blue Ridge statement.
- Press the [TiVo] button to go to TiVo Home, and then navigate to Apps & Games. Alternately, press the [Apps] button on your Mini remote.
- Select the Google Play Store.
- Browse apps and games, or select the magnifying glass at the top to search.
- Select the app you wish to download from the menu or search results.
- Select Install and wait for the download to complete.
- Once downloaded, select Open to access the app right away. You can also locate the app later by returning to the Apps & Games screen.
Can I cast an app from my device to my TV?
Yes! The Blue Ridge Stream box features a built-in Chromecast, which allows you to beam apps from your smartphone, tablet, or Google Chrome browser to your TV screen. Please note, your casting device must be connected to the same wifi network as the Blue Ridge Stream box.
- On your device, open the app you wish to cast to the TV.
- Tap the Cast button.
- Select the name of your Blue Ridge Stream box from the Cast to list of available options.
- The Cast button will change appearance , indicating a successful connection.
- Content may begin to play automatically, or you can select the content you wish to watch and press Play on your mobile device.
- While casting video, you can control playback from your mobile device, or from your Blue Ridge Stream remote.
- Press the [TiVo] button on your remote to exit casting and return to TiVo Home. Alternately, from your mobile device, tap the Cast button and select Stop Casting.
How do I access Video on Demand?
Press the [VOD] button on your remote. Alternately, press the [TiVo] button to go to TiVo Home, then select Blue Ridge on Demand. Please refer to our Video on Demand Support article for more information on navigating or ordering from Video on Demand. Purchases will be charged to your next Blue Ridge statement.
Movies and TV shows can also be ordered from the Google Play Movies & TV app, accessible from the Apps & Games screen. A Google account is required for access. Please note, any purchases or rentals made from this screen will be charged to your method of payment associated with your Google account, and will not appear on your Blue Ridge statement.