What does 2 Gig Internet include?
For our customers in fiber-converted areas, we offer a 2 Gig speed which includes up to 2 Gbps (gigabits per second) download and 2 Gbps upload.
For those in areas not yet converted to Fiber, we offer a 2 Gig speed with up to 2 Gbps download and 40 Mbps upload.
Do I need special equipment to receive 2 Gig Internet?
For symmetrical 2x2 Gbps, you will need to be in a Fiber-converted area and have a PON Modem.
For those outside of our Fiber-converted areas, 2 Gig x 40 Mbps requires a DOCSIS 3.1 or newer modem with a 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet connection.
Your wireless router must also have a 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet connection.
In either case, in order to receive download speeds of up to 2 Gbps, there are unique requirements for your desktop or laptop operating systems, processors, memory, Ethernet connectivity, and browsers.
Operating System, Processor, and Memory Requirements
- Operating System: Your desktop or laptop must be running Windows 10 (64-bit) or Mac OS 10.8 Mountain Lion or newer
- Processor: Your desktop or laptop needs a Quad-Core Intel Core i7 (or faster) processor
- Memory: Your desktop or laptop needs a solid-state drive (SSD), not a traditional hard disk drive (HDD)
Ethernet Connectivity Requirements
For maximum speeds of 1 Gbps, your desktop or laptop will need a 1G copper Ethernet interface and a 1G Ethernet adapter. These will need to be paired with a Cat5e (or better) Ethernet cable.
For maximum speeds of 2 Gbps on a single computer, you will need the following:
- A desktop computer with an available PCIe expansion slot
- A 10G Base-T PCIe network interface controller (NIC)
- A Cat6 or better Ethernet cable
To achieve maximum speeds of 2 Gbps on more than one of your devices, you will need a compatible router or firewall with throughput of 2 Gbps (or greater) along with the following:
- A 10G WAN Capable router or firewall. The WAN Uplink must be a 10G Ethernet port.
- All of the additional equipment from the single computer requirements for each connected computer to reach 2 Gbps from the router or firewall. The actual number of devices and configurations supported varies by the brand and model of the router or firewall.
Blue Ridge supplied DOCSIS 3.1 cable modems and PON modems both include a 2.5 Gbps Ethernet port. Our eero Pro 6E units with Blue Ridge HomeFi are capable of supporting up to a combined 2.3 Gbps through both a hardwired Ethernet (1 Gbps port) and wireless (up to 1.2 Gbps across devices) connection.
We advise using one of the following browsers to help realize speeds up to 2 Gbps:
- Google Chrome 40.0.2403 or newer
- Microsoft Edge (64-bit) or newer
- Mozilla Firefox 40.0.3 (64-bit) or newer
- Safari 6.2.8 or newer
For more information about different browsers or to download a new one, visit https://www.whatsmybrowser.org/
Help! I’m not receiving the correct speeds.
Please first make sure your devices have the requirements listed above.
For assistance with internet or speed issues, please see our article on Internet Troubleshooting, and how to run a speed test.
We recommend always testing your speed with a hardwired connection directly to your computer. It is good practice to regularly reboot your equipment, and make sure to place your wireless router in a central location, and away from possible sources of electrical interference. If possible, plug stationary devices into your router using an Ethernet cable, especially devices using more bandwidth or transferring high amounts of data, such as desktop computers, gaming consoles, and video streaming devices.